So it’s no surprise that just like thousands of other girls, I’ve always really wanted longer and thicker eyelashes. Mine were pretty good before, but I still wanted MORE (haha). So, I decided to get eyelash extensions. I did my research and found the best girl to do them for me.
Fast forward to three years later, and I still had them! (Insert screaming emoji here, haha). I was extremely happy with them, because even when I was not wearing makeup on my face, having the lashes still made me look presentable. So, I didn’t even question if my natural eyelashes were being damaged, I just thought that shedding was normal and that as soon as I wanted to take a break, my normal lashes would just be there waiting for me. Boy, was I was wrong!
After having Diego and literally not even having time to brush my teeth, I let my eyelash extensions go. I simply didn’t have the time to be going every three weeks to get them done! And guess what? To my horrified surprise, the majority of my natural eyelashes were gone! Yes, gone! The ones that I did have left were super short–my eyelashes did not look at all like they used to before I added the extensions.
HOW TO GROW BACK YOUR NATURAL EYELASHES AFTER EXTENSIONS
After crying for like 10 minutes (I blame hormones), I made the decision to not go back for extensions and just try to focus on growing my natural eyelashes. I am not going to lie, I didn’t like what I saw on the mirror for some time. I wanted my Minnie Mouse eyes again, but with patience and the right products, my lashes came back!
STAGES OF THE EYELASH GROWTH CYCLE
Before we jump in and talk about ways to grow your eyelashes back, it’s important to understand why they fall out in the first place and the stages of the eyelash growth cycle. Eyelashes can fall out for multiple reasons aside from extensions, such as harsh rubbing to remove waterproof mascara, using a product that irritates your eye area, or even stress. However, in most cases your eyelashes will grow back, and they go through several stages:
- Anagen phase – This stage usually lasts 2 weeks and is the growth period for each individual eyelash.
- Catagen phase – This is known as the transition phase, where the lash stops growing. If the lash falls out during this phase, it won’t grow back right away because the follicle needs to complete the phase, which lasts 2-3 weeks.
- Telogen phase – This phase lasts between 4-9 months. It’s the resting stage before the last falls out and a new one grows in its place.
Your lashes are constantly going through these 3 phases, and it’s very normal to lose a few lashes day to day, even if you don’t notice!
WHAT I DID TO SPEED UP LASH REGROWTH
- I purchased a natural mascara- After doing some research, I found that natural mascara is way better for your lashes! If I was going to use something natural, eyes are a great place to start, right? So now, I only use my Luxe Lashes Define Mascara. I love this mascara because it has two wands, one hourglass wand for your outer lashes which fan and seperate. Then a second smaller wand which is perfect for reaching your shorter inner lashes and bottom lashes. Also because this mascara is not waterproof, it can be removed easy when taking your makeup off and will not damage your lashes from rubbing too hard.
- I started using the right eyeliner– I purchased a new eyeliner from The Quick Flick, it’s literally the one eyeliner I will not go without. Besides staying hydrated and nourishing your lashes it’s the only black eyeliner that I have used that works with my oily skin and does not get messy by lunchtime.
- I bought a lash enhancing serum– I have tried three lash enhancing serums that I really like. I started with one from Peter Thomas Roth, which I loved. I’ve also tried a more natural version from Plume, made from 100% natural ingredients. Now, I’m currently using the Luxe Lashes Growth Serum. The ingredients are clean and it comes in a Lash Kit with a set of three products, the growth serum, eyelash lift kit and define mascara. The serums all work great, so it just depends on your preference.
IF YOU WANT TO BOOST YOUR LASH GROWTH EVEN MORE, HERE ARE A FEW ADDITIONAL THINGS YOU CAN DO:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in protein, biotin, vitamins A and C, niacin, and iron. Some foods with these ingredients include nuts, whole grains, berries, avocados, fish, and dark, leafy greens such as spinach.
- Take a supplement. I like blackmores women's Skin and Hair for not only a hair supplement but for lash growth too.
- Always remove your makeup at night and clean your eyelashes thoroughly. I love to use garnier's micellar water.
- Don’t get eyelash extensions for a long period of time! Lesson learned. I still love them and would get them again, but I would definitely give my lashes a break from time to time.
Thanks so much for stopping by, I’ll see you in my next post!